Calm is the leading mental health brand, on a mission to support everyone on every step of their mental health journey. With the #1 app for sleep, meditation and relaxation, Calms transformational mindfulness content supports users across seven languages in more than 190 countries.
What We Do:
We build Calms product, guide Calms analysis, secure Calms data, and operate the platforms that underpin it all. Were product-minded, team-oriented, and grounded in the mission of meeting everyone where theyre at on their mental health journey. We work in fast-moving, small pods and as a Staff Backend Engineer you will be expected to gather technical requirements, design and publish technical specs of innovative systems, as well as own building and releasing them into production.
What Youll Do:
The Staff Backend Software Engineer is a critical member of the Calm Engineering Team. In this role, you will be responsible for designing, developing, and maintaining the backend systems that power our mobile and web applications. You will work closely with a team of engineers, designers, product managers, and customers to ensure that our products are reliable, performant, and secure.
- Work directly with our customers and product managers to gather requirements and define technical specifications
- Design, develop, and maintain backend systems that are reliable, scalable, and secure
- Write high-quality code that is well-documented and easy to maintain
- Ensure high test coverage for all code, including unit and integration tests
- Implement monitoring to detect and respond to system failures and performance issues
- Work with other teams, such as mobile development, QA, and DevOps, to ensure a smooth development and deployment process
- Stay up-to-date on the latest backend technologies and trends
- Develop, mentor and train software engineers
Skills and Qualifications:
- Experience with the following languages/technologies/frameworks (or equivalents):
- AWS / GCP / GKE
- Relational DBs / SQL
- Experience with REST API-based microservices design
- Strong focus on security, with the ability to clearly articulate potential attack vectors and design mitigations
- Proven experience working effectively in a fast-paced, agile environment as part of a collaborative team
- Willingness and enthusiasm to learn new technologies and tackle challenging problems
- Experience providing accurate high-level estimates based on complexity and consistently delivering on time and with quality
- Proficiency in writing unit and integration tests in a CI/CD environment
- Excellent communication skills, with the ability to convey technical solutions to both technical and non-technical stakeholders
- Provide high-quality code reviews that reduce defects and support the professional development of peers
- Ability to leverage the expertise of others to facilitate professional growth and know when to seek assistance
- Ability to work independently and as part of a team
- Ability to meet deadlines and work under pressure
Nice to Haves:
- Past experience building apps in highly controlled industries, i.e., healthcare
- This role typically requires 12 years of related experience
- BS in Computer Science, Engineering, or a related technical field
The anticipated salary range for this position is $201,800 $282,500. The base salary range represents the low and high end of Calms salary range for this position. Not all candidates will be eligible for the upper end of the salary range. Exact salary will ultimately depend on multiple factors, which may include the successful candidates skills, experience, and other qualifications. This role is also eligible for equity + comprehensive benefits + 401k + flexible time off.
We believe that mental health is health, and every person should be considered in the discussion. Thats why were proud to be an equal opportunity workplace, committed to providing equal employment opportunities to all applicants and employees regardless of race, color, religion, national origin, age, sex, marital status, ancestry, physical or mental disability, medical condition, genetic information, military or veteran status, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, or any other characteristic protected by applicable federal, state or local law.
Calm is deeply committed to diversity, equity and inclusion. We strive to create a mindful and respectful environment where everyone can bring their authentic self to work, and experience a culture that is free of harassment, racism, and discrimination.