This position is designated as being part of OPEIU (Office Professional Employees International Union, Local 1010), the union that we voluntarily recognized in fall 2021. We are currently still in negotiations for our first CBA (collective bargaining agreement). Once that is signed, there will be union dues or fees associated with this position. The amount of the dues or fees will be set by the union, and we do not yet know what that amount will be.
Code for America believes government can work for the people, by the people, in the digital age, and that government at all levels can and should work well for all people. For more than a decade, weve worked to show that with the mindful use of technology, we can break down barriers, meet community needs, and find real solutions.
Our employees and active community of volunteers build and transform government and community tools and services, making them so good they inspire change. We merge the best parts of technology, nonprofit, and government to help support the people who need it most. With a focus on diversity, equity, inclusion, and deep empathy for partners in government and community organizations and the people that our partners serve, were building a movement of motivated change agents driven by meaningful results and lasting impact. At Code for America, you contribute to exciting work while learning and developing in a supportive and flexible environment. Our compensation and benefits are holistic and thoughtfully curated to represent our employees and our mission. Help us drive real generational change that lasts.
Code for America is looking for a talented Senior Content Designer (Bilingual) who will help the organization build products and digital services that transform the way government delivers services to communities in need.
About the Role:
As a Senior Content Designer working within our safety net portfolio, you will work with a multidisciplinary team of designers, researchers, engineers, and policy experts to analyze problems, and create solutions for public services that are simple enough for everyone to use. Youll be responsible for looking at our enrollment services (e.g. integrated benefits applications) and identifying opportunities for clearer communication to our clients. As our first ever content designer, youll mentor design teammates on how content can meaningfully improve each touchpoint of the experience.
The Design team at Code for America is building a radically better future, starting today. We believe design can create the conditions for generational, systemic change while also delivering immediate material value to communities. We design with, not for, impacted communities, and we believe that good design serves everyone with respect. In this role, youll be leading a talented design team working towards this vision together. You can read more about our design principles here.
You will report to a Design Manager, and work alongside designers, and Engineering, Product, Data Science, Qualitative Research, and Client Success departments. You will contribute to team culture, and define best practices for doing design with respect and dignity.
In this position you will:
- Lead content design direction for our Enrollment Service Area work
- Standardize practices for UX content hierarchy by creating a plain language content style guide
- Collaborate with UX designers, and qualitative researchers, to develop and review work together
- Use evidence, data, and research to explain content decisions to stakeholders on the team
- Craft clear, concise and compelling content within our product interfaces and communications (eg. text messages, notices, flyers, and other client facing materials)
- Own UX writing for a set of features, from copy in form fields to entire landing pages and information architecture, to ensure we communicate information in the best way possible
- Support research to better understand client motivations, language, and needs
- Partner cross-functionally to ensure content and design is being leveraged to improve products, services, and client outcomes across our portfolio.
- You have 6+ years of experience in content design and/or ux design.
- Fluency in Spanish and experience designing content in Spanish
- You have a portfolio of relevant design work with strong examples of your work, your design process, and your role
- Familiarity with common industry design and collaboration tools such as Figma, Sketch, Adobe Creative Suite, Mural, Trello, Github, etc.
- Familiarity with agile, iterative software development practices
- Ability to work collaboratively within a multidisciplinary team
- Ability to manage multiple high-priority initiatives, including early-stage product strategy as well as delivery of tactical and incremental design improvements
- Ability to collaborate and facilitate design discussion in a remote working environment
- Experience mentoring designers and communicating the value of design to stakeholders and cross-functional partners.
Its a bonus if you have:
- Personal experience with or professional experience working within the criminal-legal system, social safety net or other mission-relevant government services.
- Experience in civic service design, civic tech, or social impact design in the public sector.
- Leadership experience with diversity, equity and inclusion initiatives
- Experience with both product development/digital delivery and design agency model
What youll get:
Code for Americas salary bands are transparent internally as a part of our commitment to diversity, equity, and inclusion. We are happy to extend this transparency during the recruitment process. As a part of our equitable hiring practices, we aim to target the midpoint of the 2nd quartile of the range for all new hires.
The targets for this role are dependent on the market/geographic location. The targets for this role range from $111,648 to $136,675.
Benefits and perks:
- Leadership and teammates who value Equity, Inclusion, and Diversity (DE&I)
- A collaborative, cross-functional, hardworking and fun environment
- Medical & Retirement:
- Full benefits package with 100% coverage towards select medical, dental and vision plans and contributes 80% of the cost towards dependent and family coverage
- 401k plan with matching funds up to 3%
- Professional development:
- Bi annual 360 review process alongside compensation reviews
- $1000 annual (per calendar year) stipend towards professional development
- A manager and org-wide structure that supports and enables professional development
- Flexible Time:
- Unlimited Paid Time Off policy
- Flexible working hours- we aim to hold all internal meetings between 10 AM 3 PM PT
- Employee enablement support:
- $200 stipend in first paycheck for remote environment setup
- Additional equipment reimbursement of up to $500 for remote enablement
- Cell phone and/or internet reimbursement of up to $50 per month
Equal Employment Opportunity:
Code for America values a diverse, equitable, and inclusive workplace and strongly encourages women, people of color, LGBTQ+ folks, people with disabilities, members of ethnic minorities, foreign-born residents, and veterans to apply. Code for America is an equal opportunity employer. Applicants will not be discriminated against because of race, color, creed, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, age, religion, national origin, citizenship status, disability, ancestry, marital status, veteran status, medical condition or any protected category prohibited by local, state or federal laws.