Counsel Privacy and Commercial
HubSpot is looking for a business-oriented Counsel Privacy and Commercial/Go-To-Market (GTM) to join our Privacy and Cybersecurity practice on the HubSpot Legal & Compliance Team. This role will play a key role supporting the Commercial Legal team and cross-functional business partners in Sales and Customer Success on customer queries, transactions and negotiations related to privacy, cybersecurity, data use, data transfers and other related topics. In addition to delivery of tangible business value, this role will provide critical partnership in helping Legal & Compliance team drive key company strategic objectives and evolve our in-house practice to best support our customers and company.
This role reports to to our Associate General Counsel/Data Protection Officer and, you will get to:
- Advise on and negotiate data privacy provisions in various commercial contracts, which may include customer agreements and partner agreements to find pragmatic solutions to manage and mitigate third-party security and privacy risk.
- Work closely and partner with the Commercial Legal, Sales, Customer Success, Security and other cross-functional teams on SaaS transactions and related queries that drive company revenue.
- Understand the legal support needs of our Sales and Customer Success team and customers, and help drive customer and business centric improvements and enablement.
- Develop contracting processes and frameworks that help solve for the customer and company objectives, while managing privacy and cybersecurity risk.
- Support HubSpot and our customers across the globe with deep subject matter expertise in key global privacy and cybersecurity regulations.
- Remain current on knowledge base, which may include attendance at ongoing industry working groups and trainings on relevant subject areas.
- Ad hoc support on various legal matters related to the privacy and cybersecurity practice on the HubSpot Legal & Compliance Team.
- Work with other business teams on a variety of legal processes, risks and opportunities as needed.
We are looking for people who:
- Are qualified to practice law in the U.S., Germany or another reciprocal U.S., EU or UK qualification
- Have at least 5 years of applicable legal experience, including supporting and advising businesses on privacy and data protection related issues, ideally at both a law firm and a fast-paced tech company.
- Are enthusiastic about partnering with business to understand goals and achieve business objectives.
- Are able to make decisions and provide advice/explain the rationale for the decision to a curious and empowered team.
- Have experience with HIPAA, GLBA, and other regulated industries and their respective laws and regulations
- Develop strong relationships based on trust with team members.
- Have experience drafting and negotiating privacy and data protection terms in commercial contracts, with even broader commercial contract negotiation experience as in-house counsel as a plus.
- Have deep knowledge of global privacy and data protection laws and regulations.
- Are business-oriented, solution-oriented, proactive, well-organized, and appreciate autonomy
- Have a CIPP certification, or are interested in pursuing a CIPP certification (and/or other security and data privacy related training courses).
- Possess strong communication skills, especially via an internal wiki, Slack and Zoom (its how we communicate).
- Possess excellent business judgment and ability to assess legal risk while also thinking strategically and providing practical advice.
- Are passionate about the values in the HubSpot Culture Code.
Cash compensation range: 148000-208000 USD Annually
The cash compensation above includes base salary, on-target commission for employees in eligible roles, and annual bonus targets under HubSpots bonus plan for eligible roles. In addition to cash compensation, all HubSpotters are eligible to participate in HubSpots equity plan to receive restricted stock units (RSUs). Some roles may also be eligible for overtime pay. Individual compensation packages are based on a few different factors unique to each candidate, including their skills, experience, qualifications and other job-related reasons.
We know that benefits are also an important piece of your total compensation package. To learn more about whats included in total compensation, check out some of the benefits and perks HubSpot offers to help employees grow better.
At HubSpot, fair compensation practices isnt just about checking off the box for legal compliance. Its about living out our value of transparency with our employees, candidates, and community.
If you need assistance or an accommodation due to a disability, please email us at firstname.lastname@example.org. This information will be treated as confidential and used only for the purpose of determining an appropriate accommodation for the interview process.
Important COVID-19 Guidance (For candidates applying to roles in the United States):
Per HubSpots policy all employees who wish to work @office or @flex or to visit an office in-person must be fully-vaccinated. At this time, @remote employees are not required to be vaccinated.
Germany Applicants: (m/f/d) link to HubSpots Career Diversity page here.
HubSpot (NYSE: HUBS) is a leading customer relationship management (CRM) platform that provides software and support to help businesses grow better. We build marketing, sales, service, and website management products that start free and scale to meet our customers needs at any stage of growth. Were also building a company culture that empowers people to do their best work. If that sounds like something youd like to be part of, wed love to hear from you.
You can find out more about our company culture in the HubSpot Culture Code, which has more than 5M views, and learn about our commitment to creating a diverse and inclusive workplace, too. Thanks to the work of every employee globally, HubSpot was named the #2 Best Place to Work on Glassdoor in 2022, and has been recognized for award-winning culture by Great Place to Work, Comparably, Fortune, Entrepreneur, Inc., and more.
Headquartered in Cambridge, Massachusetts, HubSpot was founded in 2006. Today, thousands of employees work across the globe in HubSpot offices and remotely. Visit our careers website to learn more about culture and opportunities at HubSpot.
By submitting your application, you agree that HubSpot may collect your personal data for recruiting, global organization planning, and related purposes. HubSpots Privacy Notice explains what personal information we may process, where we may process your personal information, our purposes for processing your personal information, and the rights you can exercise over HubSpots use of your personal information.